Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pecans & Walnuts.












Reason: Taste, Texture & Minor Food Reaction.

Normally, I'm a nut for nuts (Come on! You saw that pun coming!), but in doing my research on this topic, I learned that walnuts and pecans are not true nuts, but members of the drupe family (single-stoned fruits like peaches, plums, cherries, etc. which I quite like). I was about to write off my problems with them as a problem with nutty drupes (make your own pun), when I discovered that almonds, my favorite non-nut, are also of the same classification. So I guess I don't get to get off that easily.

Walnuts and pecans taste bitter to me (though walnuts are especially so), and their weird not-quite-solid texture is a let down... but, that's not all.

I can't say that I'm allergic to these nuts. Allergy would include anaphylaxis and all of the not fun times thereof. These nuts just give me a sort of itchy and slightly bumpy feeling on my soft palate. I'm calling it a minor food reaction, but it's enough to keep me away from them.

This leads me to one of my favorite "I'm not going to eat that..." stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment