Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bananas.













Reason: Smell, taste, texture.

I had a colleague last year who handled his banana (folks, these are literal bananas) every day at lunch. He'd remove it from the peel one piece at a time and it would get all over his fingers while he sort of played with it as he was chewing up the last piece. When he talked, there was banana goo all in his mouth. Someone eventually brought his handling of the banana to his attention and he stopped. I very much liked that colleague, but I did not like his bananas. I am guessing my dislike of his bananas is largely based upon my intense dislike of bananas in general.

I can remember eating banana chips on my cereal when I was a little kid, but I can't remember ever liking actual bananas. Everything about them is revolting to me (even though I have a room in my house that is painted almost a banana yellow... I prefer to call it "mustard" because I am definitely going to eat that). They just goosh through folks mouths while they eat them and then there are the mouth sounds which are... unsettling.

I appreciate the nutritional value of the banana, and I realize that they are a vital food crop both to national / international economies and diets around the world. That doesn't mean I can stomach them. I prefer to get my potassium elsewhere... like from a vitamin if I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment