Friday, November 27, 2009

An INGTET Story: The Picky Etiquette

This blog is dedicated to all of the everyday food items I will not eat. Some people think I'm crazy, but I'm just picky. I'd be a great challenge on Top Chef.

People say to me all the time, "how do you know you don't like it if you won't try it?" I understand why this question makes sense to people. Allow me to answer.

First, I have tried most things that are on this list, and this list used to be much, MUCH longer. For example, I used to think onions were the most disgusting things in the world. Then, all of a sudden, one day, while I was working in Noah's Bagels as a slacker college grad, the onion-smelling walk-in refrigerator smelled really, really good to me. Since that day, I eat all kinds of onions. Tomatoes, asparagus, spinach... I'm a convert to all of those, and I started to like most of those in my 20s.

Another way to think about it: you know how a cat will generally avoid certain plants that are toxic to it? You know, that sort of 6th sense that says "don't bother"? I prefer to think of my avoidance like that. If it's just unappetizing to me and it's not necessary for me to eat it, why would I make myself do something that I find revolting? I trust my sense of smell when it comes to foodstuffs because it's never been wrong. I can't argue my sense of smell into submission.

Bitter is the devil. I've read stuff on supertasters and theories that say stuff like children may have evolved a dislike for bitter things because many poisons are bitter, and therefore, they're better off just not liking them. I never grew out of that. It would be a different story if I were living on nothing but cookies and beer, but that's not the case. Based on this, yes, I believe I am a supertaster (connotations of "super" aside... it just means beyond, it doesn't mean superior).

Also, if it's going to cause me stress and heartache because I then have to tell you that I don't like the ______ that you made, I'd rather just avoid it all together. You and I are both better off... no one feels slighted, no one feels guilty for not loving something made by someone they love. I do love you, and I want to like your ______, but there's often no accounting for revulsion.

All of that said, I really do my best to make it look like I like something even when I don't. It's well within the realm of politeness and consideration to fake it. If flat-out asked whether I like something, I'll usually find something good to say about it, even if I can't eat it. If I can't find something good to say about it, I'll break the news to you gently. I'll tell you how this played out with Czech relatives in Prague sometime.

Anyhoo, now that I feel like I've over-justified and over-defended my stance, I'll get to the posting. Like the subtitle says, I am aware that you think I'm crazy. I just can't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment